Tetracycline therapeutic actions: Tetracycline is a bacteriostatic antibiotic which belongs to a group of tetracyclines. It works by forming a complex with transport-RNA and ribosomes which leads to protein synthesis inhibition. It is active against gram positive and negative microorganisms as well as enterobacteria.
Tetracycline prescription: Tetracycline is prescribed in treatment of bacterial infections which are caused by susceptible bacteria:
- Respiratory tract infections
- Urogenital infections
- Skin and soft tissue infections
- Stomach infections
Tetracycline contraindications and cautions: The drug should not be used in the following cases:
- Hypersensitivity to the components of the preparation
- Pregnancy espscially second and third trimester
- Lactation period
- Young age (below 8 years)
Should be used with caution in:
- Liver insufficiency
- When going on vacation with excess sunlight
- In treatment of complex infections
Should be used with vitamins to eliminate the possibility of avitaminosis B and K. Tetracycline does bind with Ca2+ thus should not be used when the teeth are forming.
Tetracycline adverse effects: There are possible side-effects associated with this medicine that can affect individuals in different ways. If a side effect is stated here, that does not necessarily mean the fact that all people using Tetracycline will experience it or any other. The side-effects include:
- Gastro-intestinal system: decreased appetite, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, glossitis, gastritis, stomach and duodenal ulcer, increased activity of liver transaminase, intestinal disbacteriosis, pancreatitis.
- CNS side-effects: increased intracranial pressure, dizziness, tiredness.
- Haemopoietic system: hemolytic anemia, thrombocytopenia, neutropenia.
- Urogenital system: natremia, hypercreatinemia.
- Allergic and other immune reactions: maculopapular rash, skin hyperemia, anaphylactic reactions, photosensabilisatin,
- Other: superinfection, candidosis, avitaminosis B, hyperbilirubinemia
The side effects listed above may not include all of the side effects reported by the drug's manufacturer. For more information about any other possible risks associated with Tetracycline, please read the information provided with Tetracycline or consult your doctor or pharmacist.
Tetracycline interactions: It is important to tell your doctor or pharmacist what medicines you are already taking, including those bought without a prescription and herbal medicines, before you start treatment with Tetracycline. Similarly, check with your doctor or pharmacist before taking any new medication while taking this one, to ensure that the combination is safe. Especially mention the following groups of drugs:
- Other antibiotics
- Vitamin A
Tetracycline additional information: DO NOT SHARE Tetracycline with others. DO NOT USE THIS MEDICINE for other health conditions. KEEP THIS PRODUCT, as well as syringes and needles, if needed during treatment, out of the reach of children. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials.